Thursday, July 25, 2013

The Peacekeeper and the Warrior

In a world like this; where violence is a daily occurrence, it's the little things that keep you going. Getting to sleep in late, cigarette breaks, and even being able to walk outside without there being an EMF attack can make your day. But SLUG pilots don't have time for these luxuries.

"This is Central Command. We have confirmation of EMF activity. Code Ares."

Of course it has to be me. The minute I get a chance to relax it's my turn. Despite my reluctance to go I rush to my Gear Chamber and get all of my equipment on in less than three minutes.

"SLUG DES: Peacemaker is in play. The Gears are turning. Please enter the Gear Chamber. Good luck."

Just like every single other SLUG in existence, Peacemaker is named as an in-joke referring to the EMF it was specifically designed to destroy: EMF Ares, the representation of war and brutality. Since the creation of SLUGs it has become far more powerful, as if it is fueled by the carnage that occurs every day. Fortunately I have one major advantage.       

As Peacemaker walks through the city, I see the aftermath of Ares' latest attack on Philadelphia. It's victims were beaten to death, mauled, and were even choked to death from the smoke Ares' emits. Hundreds of lives were lost, all because of one of the monstrosities known as EMFs. The creature took advantage of my shock and disgust and lunged itself at Peacemaker from behind, causing it to collapse.
   
This, combined with the fact that it has taken a form that is the same size of Peacemaker, suggests some kind of intelligence. But unlike the other EMFS, Ares' lacks any intelligence. It is nothing more than a mad dog who's actions are dictated by it's instinct to destroy. And that is my greatest advantage over it. Which is only more evident by it's appearance, that of a wild animal made up of smoke and stitched leather with horns attached seemingly at random.

Thanks to Ares' slow reaction time, I managed to get up quickly and got in a few attacks before it had the chance to process what was happening. Unfortunately this didn't last long and Ares finally started to fight back. Every blow was devastating, and caused major damage to Peacemaker.
If I was to succeed I need to end this fight as soon as possible.   

I quickly improvised and grabbed a nearby metal pole and kept on smashing Are's until it finally stop attacking. It was a crude method sure, but at the very least it prevented Ares' from destroying my SLUG. With Ares distracted, I quickly got Peacemaker to it's feet. I had one last chance and I wasn't about to waste it.

I beat Ares into submission, hitting it over and over again until it was in such pain it fell to the ground and was incapable of fighting back. Eventually it gathered enough strength to kick me a few feet away and opened a portal to it's "domain."

"Oh no you don't you bastard!" I screamed as I ordered Peacemaker to grab it's tail. "You're not getting away so easily!" 

"Agent Grim, get out of your Gear Chamber now! You are one minute away from exceeding the one hour limit within the Gear Chamber!"

"I can't stop now, not when I'm so close to killing this son of a bitch that it's running away like a scared child!"

"We weren't asking you Agent Grim ..."

Despite my protesting at the time I know that I was doing was idiotic. Central Command filled my Gear Chamber with nitrous oxide until I was knocked out and then proceeded to drag me out of the chamber and back into my room.      

No comments:

Post a Comment